Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zero to Three

Life has continued to trudge along in the Lee household as we continue our quest for normalcy. Little by little we are beginning to resume some semblance of the way it used to be prior to Owen's birth. Of course, life isn't the same as it used to be and we have to find a whole new strategy to balance our careers and two boys...while also tackling all of the little extras that get tossed in our direction.

A trio of ladies from the birth to three program visited our house on Monday. Their purpose was to evaluate Owen's overall appearance and capabilities to see if he is meeting the expectations of an average infant of his age. They did a number of different things with him. Moving him into different positions to test the strength of his limbs and head. Attempting to get his attention in a number of different manners from startling him, to just talking to him to see if he would react or track their movements. They asked quite a few questions to April and myself to give us an opportunity to let them know the things we have noticed or to address any concerns that we may have. They also wanted to know what we have been doing with him as far as strengthening exercises. I copped to my daddy bootcamp. I have a very dry, warped sense of humor...so I am not completely sure they knew I was kidding when I told them that I work him out because I do not feel he has any incapability....he is just lazy. Although...I am not sure I was kidding? When I sit him up, he is very capable of holding up his head and will...then decides to let it flop around until he decides to hold it back up again. I have seen him turn his head from one side to the other when he is laying on his back or on his stomach...yet he does not seem to do it enough.

Anyway, their overall opinion of his behaviors and movements were pretty positive. They felt his head and neck strength could be a bit stronger, but the rest of his body seemed very strong. They thought he focused well on people when they tried to get his attention...but would like to see him track people around a bit more when they move. But once again, it poses the question to me...is he in need of concentrating more on following people with his eyes and head...or does he just lose interest and is too lazy to follow through? I am not sure. For now, they are planning to visit once a month until he gets a little bit older. They said there really is not a great deal they can do with him when he is so small and they need to know a bit more about what he may or may not do before they can make a more definitive game plan. So....more waiting.

Today was April's first day back at work...which she headed off to begrudgingly. While I was not given as long of a period of time to spend with Owen once he got home...I can still relate to the fact that you anticipate X amount of time to spend adjusting to your new life with your new addition and then all of a sudden...everything is thrown out of whack...your actual amount of time you were hoping to spend at home has been shortened significantly and next thing you know you are back at work. This was my first day I spent alone with the two boys and overall...it was a success. Neither of them slept the night before so I began the day tired (and come to think of it...I am concluding it that way too). Brendan stuck to his typical Brendan day demanding as much time and attention from me as possible. Although he was much easier to handle in the food department than he usually is. He was willing to get in his high chair at mealtime without me having to pin him down and drag him through the kitchen with his arms flailing while he kicks and screams. I have played that game too many times before. Owen was pretty even tempered and ate and laid on the floor or sat on my lap and cooed a bit. Their naps did not coordinate with one another (which I anticipated but was still disappointed by) so there was no napping for Dad...but I didn't die. It was not until the evening when both April and I were home that they both decided to become unruly and holler in unison and make our night completely unrelaxing.

The rest of this week should be relatively calm in the appointment department. I am home with the boys again tomorrow and Thursday will be my first day of dragging the two of them off to Aprils moms before work. April should be able to ease herself back into the her workdays. Next week is Dr. Elmo and I am anxious to see him because I want to know what he has to say. I also want him to see Owen and let us know how he feels about his progress.

And now....the part that you have all been waiting for...the What Strange Thing Brendan is Doing Now...portion of the blog. The night before last he dirtied his diaper in a more brown manner :) and April asked if he wanted to go to the potty. He agreed (although the deed had already been done) and she sat him on his toilet and then flushed the contents of his diaper down the toilet once they were finished. That was the last attempt I know of where we worked with him on potty training. This afternoon...he was jumping on the coffee table like he knows he is not supposed to when all of a sudden he stood at the end of the table facing me and said "Bye poop! Bye! Miss you!" He grinned as I looked up at him and then began to raise his hand above his head and wave..."Bye Poop! Love you! Miss you! Bye Poop!" This went on for a while and while I was entertained (and disgusted) I had forgotten about it by the time April got home until he once again crawled up on the coffee table and when he was scolded to get down he began his farewell to poop performance once again. I'm really not sure why we need to bid adieu to the brown...but clearly it is something he finds very important.

No comments: